Friday, December 26, 2008

I Masterbated My Daughter

Some explanations for the end of the year and that starting

aviez remarque que ce blog était très calme durant ces rest Derniers mois. On m'a fallu remettre question completely and perspective the place I wanted to give the coins.
recent years this blog was more or less supposed to keep me going until I entered as a preservative in Coin Cabinet. This entry has been a very late for an indefinite period because I am now in Nice, and for a while, I was not sure if I would continue to be interested in medieval coins, and if so for what purpose and what means - and especially as parallel I created another blo g responsible for relaying all that relates more specifically to the library, websites, usability of online databases, etc..
So that put it in this blog, why, for whom, etc..
So far I lived on the achievements of my thesis Ecole des Chartes: the iconography of medieval ecclesiastical currencies. I prolonged vague until we have much time, this time in a professional capacity, to expand the currencies secular, royal and foreign.
As this expansion is postponed indefinitely , I propose to start from scratch.

So I jump in Numismatic Journal, from number 1 (1836), to discover little by little medieval coinage all aspects together, and not just currency out of the workshops and episcopal abbey. I now have life ahead of me instead of a few years.
If I start with the articles of the nineteenth century,
  1. to get a broader view of discipline "Coin", and be less dependent on interests specific to that time (because there are modes including the auxiliary sciences of history).
  2. because I know for some years that my way of studying the currency is not new, but it was forgotten for 150 years.
"My way" is not to examine a particular currency, as exemplary rare, but being interested in the fluctuation of currency types, almost regardless of their medium. I like these sentences: " the alpha and omega disappear with the end of the Merovingians, to reappear in the Paris basin in the eleventh century . There is more money, more erosion, corrosion, typographical impossible to decipher: there is more than images that roam from one era to another, from one region to other.
is very unscientific to function well, and it is also not quite so I work. But the project remains, trace a history of currency types in the Middle Ages, making history serial (in series of copies) to reveal what types are specific to what times, what province, what types of issuers (secular , church / usurpers, beneficiaries of a donation of right of strike), etc..

This way of doing things has been inaugurated by Joachim Lelewel in 1835. I found few echoes in the first issues of the journal numismatics. Then nothing. It is likely that either through lack of desire or lack of time or for some other reason, we can now consider this project as premature at the time, because the knowledge we have now of medieval coins is incomparable.
Obviously this argument is absurd: one can easily imagine that in 50 years, researchers say the same thing of our time, and if we waited to have a perfect knowledge of our historical sources to write history, still be expected.

Still, it is high time to rewrite this Numismatic Middle Ages regarded the report as the type of Lelewel. Not today, not tomorrow: let's say, for my retirement ( receding over the years ), perhaps a little earlier if time permits.
So I'm starting slowly in the discovery of secular currency (with a few ideas already, thankfully), and a deepening of numismatic science. And I look in the way he comes out a few tickets for this blog.

0 comments:

Post a Comment